Thursday, October 19, 2006

Please please tell me now, is there something I should know...

We come to the great invention of voice recognition systems & the confusion of what button to press to find a human being to talk to! Nearly every number for a service in this great country is on an automated phone answering system... great you might say! Well the tricky thing is to finding the right area to go through to in the first place, which is difficult as there are strange names for services here. The best is when I rang UPS & try to notify them to deliver my package to the right address, an easy task maybe, but no everything here is designed to drive you nuts! The number I rang had no "human" option so it felt I was in this maze of trying to find the right way out. In the end I rang a store & they said to me when u hear the options just dial zero twice to get through to an operator... man the secrets of telephone systems! James tells me there is a site where there is a list of 'codes' to get through to a human being - ah here it is http://gethuman.com/tips.html - some handy hints indeed!

The best one so far is to get through to your health service provider - the one we chose is Kaiser Permante! I ring the Paed section for some advice & after I have explained myself the woman says "what is the childs name & date of birth" & then she goes on to say "Oh I am sorry he doesn't have a patient record" Oh der lady, I just told you we are potential patients of yours & you didn't listen to me, grrrr!! Well what can you do when you get "patched through" to another answering system that goes to nowhere. Think we will just have to get our member number to get any serious bizness happening!

Pic is of another great American mystery - poodle trees?? (Does take some skill though)

No comments: